Wednesday, April 6, 2011

In Bed

Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec’s “In Bed” portrays two people, whom it appears have just engaged in sexual activities left to the imagination of the audience.  Most aspects of the piece makes use of conveyance of contradicting elements: satisfied but not happy facial expressions, bright colors with dark undertones, and course but soft texture, to seemingly point out the guilt the two people feel about what had transpired, and the content they had found in it.  I would say the intended purpose is to elicit sympathy for the act, from the intended audience of those who would frown on, at least publicly, the actions of the pair, seemingly conveying innocence with the young appearance and a posture that lends to shame. Toulouse-Lautrec’s aristocratic upbringing likely compelled him to invite the viewer to experience the softer side of the uninviting life he had been thrust into by unusual stature.  Though it is indiscernible, the ambiguous figures could be anyone, though they appear young,  it is unknown if they are men or women, adults or children, husband, wife, lover, or client.  This for me allows interpretation and encourages one to make a connection before passing judgment.  Above all else a moment of genuine happiness is clearly depicted, a moment where only one thing matters.  Outside of the soft and comfortable white linen lies a world that isn’t clear or pronounced, with a darker colder feeling, possibly an indication of the time and place Toulouse-Lautrec, and his perception of the state in which he would like to be.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your choice of words as you interpreted this piece. Good job. Also, it's just my guess, and I could be wrong, but I believe the person on the left is a woman. Can't tell by the hair, but the profile looks feminine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe so as well, but if you don't look at other pieces, and you extrapolate from the appearance of the person in view, their appearance does not differ all that greatly. This is what led me to ask the gender of both subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this, and I really like the way you decided to interpret this art. I don’t know how you did it with so little to interpret. Nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I really like your nterpretation of this piece. Some of things you pointed out about this painting I hadn't even considered.

    ReplyDelete